Open letter from Fr Salim Nammour

City and City Council News and Discussions

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Postby jieh2008 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 am

Abou Jamra wrote:Mekhael Fraha Azzi: Don Vito. Wealthy banker and land owner, too busy at Bloom Bank, by the time he has retired he will be too old to head the council. Better serving out his days playing cards at Jamil’s. Mekhael no but his son Yes. Which son? Definitely not the LFer.

Would Abou Jamra vote for him? Depends on his program and vision for Jieh. How can he benefit me and the village? My dad might vote for him because he is from beit chahine my mum might also vote for him because his wife (mekhael that is) is from beit mkhaiber. Add to that his house is not far from mine. Al zefet bado yousal lal rkeb.



John Emile Azzi:
Too busy running his schools and there could be a conflict of interest as he has expressed interest in opening a nursing home in Jieh. Well qualified but not a serious contender and doesn’t have the financial power to counter the Mekhael Farha or George Nader empire. Mums uncles son.

Dr Nassif Azzi: Over qualified better suited as government minister. He is the King maker and he has no interest in been king. Could be an obstacle to Mekhael Farha if Mekhael were to contest.


Mounir Boustani: Azzi’s will not vote for a Boustani, simple as that.

[b]Fayez Azzi:[/b] Are you serious? No chance. Send him to Jadra.

Victor Azzi: Serious contender. However his fear is failure, therefore he will never contest. Too controversial and no relations with Nabe Younis.

Francois Azzi: Will win if he contests. He is the people’s candidate. But convincing him to run is near impossible.



You were too harsh on fayez. He is a fine leader and no one either from jieh or from anywhere else did more for us than fayez. I might not agree with some of his political views, but I have to look at the big picture. Perhaps you should rethink continuing these thoughts about your own people, call it (jib), and promoting bad feelings about other families (that goes both ways) (mounir is not a boustani, cousin, you missed two, sorry) I wouldn’t dare to name a boustani (if I wanted to name one, he would be joseph) guess which one? If we go with the idea that ‘this is what we inherited from our ancestors, and we are doing a fine job with it’ (no children should hear this), then future of our jieh is sad indeed. if we are going to look at jieh as whole and continue the life of isolation as a means of survival (ajbab), like any town anywhere in the middle-east, our town will be at a stand still with no future. the suffering ‘jbabs’ (when they left town they did not say I’m from this or that jib or this or that family) did not learn anything from what they went through. your jib and my jib and the other (jbabs) will end up in different parts of Lebanon, if not the world, as they are now. and jieh will be for someone else, as it has become. Appreciate what we have and make it better (change the politician or make him reform himself). take the initiative and plant the seed of trust. work together and have that vision of unity with other (jbabs) or with boustanis in the name of jieh, and give thanks and praise to fayez. without him, none of us will be visiting jieh, much less living in it.
jieh2008
advanced member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby CharbelS.Azzi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey everyone, i liked to reply on this topic bcoz it is a very interesting topic,and if we didn't discuss it soon Jieh will no more be known as Jieh maybe here new name will be Faour(from arab el faour).
The main problem is not politics,but it is between the people,some jieh peoples refuses to sell lands to other jiehens,and others don't like that some jiehens buy many lands in jieh so they try their best so they sell lands for strange people,even if the sellers want to sell it to their hometown people those people will not let them.
The second people we might say is the power and authority,here we can thanks some people who forced the municipality president several years ago to stop the buildings that were taking place above the kessara valley,like 20 buildings if u visit jieh u can see them till now unfinished.

Each one of us is responsible, and we can not blame others and wait until next elections,each one of us have to spread the word and let all the people know that if we don't stay one hand toghether and saved our lands we will no more have a hometown,the name of Jieh will only be in HISTORY BOOK,so let us all take action and save our land.
CharbelS.Azzi
junior member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Classified

Postby jieh2008 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:21 pm

CharbelS.Azzi wrote:Hey everyone, i liked to reply on this topic bcoz it is a very interesting topic,and if we didn't discuss it soon Jieh will no more be known as Jieh maybe here new name will be Faour(from arab el faour).
The main problem is not politics,but it is between the people,some jieh peoples refuses to sell lands to other jiehens,and others don't like that some jiehens buy many lands in jieh so they try their best so they sell lands for strange people,even if the sellers want to sell it to their hometown people those people will not let them.
The second people we might say is the power and authority,here we can thanks some people who forced the municipality president several years ago to stop the buildings that were taking place above the kessara valley,like 20 buildings if u visit jieh u can see them till now unfinished.

Each one of us is responsible, and we can not blame others and wait until next elections,each one of us have to spread the word and let all the people know that if we don't stay one hand toghether and saved our lands we will no more have a hometown,the name of Jieh will only be in HISTORY BOOK,so let us all take action and save our land.




Charbel, you hit the nail on the head. What I am interested in is the welfare of our people, and our future in jieh. As you know, we used to have one “mukhtar” for all jieh. Then the nabi younes decided that they want one for themselves too. So we ended up with two “mukhtars“, and now which mukhtar do we have? The answer is: they have both, and we have none, zippo, nada, and zero. Are you getting where I am going with this? Good. Because I saw you nodding your head. So now you‘re probably thinking, “what is next?” Since Ala’Terro and junblatt do not have the influence over the nabi younes anymore, who is going to guarantee that the presidency will stay in our hand? The current one is very rich and strong but, he is taking our town in a different direction. This municipality president (the beggar) is a divider, not a unifier. He does not see beyond the end of his nose, except his fat pocket. When he dies, he is not going to take anything with him except his reputation, which is lousy (and a disgrace to his family name). We want a president who is willing to encourage the people of jieh to come back, and to visit their homes wherever they reside throughout Lebanon, in naba’a, jounieh, beitmeri, dekwaneh, jdeideh, ashrafieh, etc….even if they live in Australia.…..he has to help his own people to come back. The beggar has been in this position for several years, and still there have been no benefits for us. Why do we have to elect him for years to come, when the town is dying under his leadership? Let him give someone else the chance to try a different approach. He had done already done enough damage by pushing the people of jieh away.
jieh2008
advanced member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:25 am

If I am correct, there are 16 main councillors in the council including the mayor.

Why aren't any of the rest being blamed here? Do you think this is a 1 man show? Surely because none of their names pop up anywhere except for the mayor, it does not mean they too are not responsible for this kind of pressure.

It reminds me of people whinging about George Bush as if he is the only person who is running the show in America. George Bush is only the figurehead for the whole team of Republicans in power.

So if you get rid of the Jieh Mayor, you are really getting rid of 16 councillors.

Okay, so let's take it from there. What new group of 16 can you come up with that will dramatically change the lives of all the Jieh residents as you see them today? The reason there is no Christian mukhtar in Jieh anymore is because of an agreement that Christians and Muslims make in that they vote for 1 each. Last elections however the voting tipped in the favour of the Nabi Younes mukhtars. Who is to blame for an unwritten law? Technically it is whoever votes wins. So it seems as though there is a break down in trust between Nabi Younis and others.

Council mayors are not Caritas workers. Council mayors are not saviours. Council mayors are usually, from my experience really hardline and tough and I suppose they come across to people sometimes in a negative way, but then again people need to separate rumors from grudges from the truth. If people can prove their accusations, then by all means, lay out all the proof on the table so everyone can see. But think about whether a case of splitting hairs is anything worth making a big deal about.

I personally don't believe any figurehead is capable of changing this unless he or she is a miracle worker.

I think people should get down to the crucial matter at hand and start voting in elections and trusting each other more or being a bit more wise.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
User avatar
Prince Cadmus II
senior member
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby jieh2008 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:51 am

Prince Cadmus II wrote:If I am correct, there are 16 main councillors in the council including the mayor.

Why aren't any of the rest being blamed here? Do you think this is a 1 man show? Surely because none of their names pop up anywhere except for the mayor, it does not mean they too are not responsible for this kind of pressure.

It reminds me of people whinging about George Bush as if he is the only person who is running the show in America. George Bush is only the figurehead for the whole team of Republicans in power.

So if you get rid of the Jieh Mayor, you are really getting rid of 16 councillors.

Okay, so let's take it from there. What new group of 16 can you come up with that will dramatically change the lives of all the Jieh residents as you see them today? The reason there is no Christian mukhtar in Jieh anymore is because of an agreement that Christians and Muslims make in that they vote for 1 each. Last elections however the voting tipped in the favour of the Nabi Younes mukhtars. Who is to blame for an unwritten law? Technically it is whoever votes wins. So it seems as though there is a break down in trust between Nabi Younis and others.

Council mayors are not Caritas workers. Council mayors are not saviours. Council mayors are usually, from my experience really hardline and tough and I suppose they come across to people sometimes in a negative way, but then again people need to separate rumors from grudges from the truth. If people can prove their accusations, then by all means, lay out all the proof on the table so everyone can see. But think about whether a case of splitting hairs is anything worth making a big deal about.

I personally don't believe any figurehead is capable of changing this unless he or she is a miracle worker.

I think people should get down to the crucial matter at hand and start voting in elections and trusting each other more or being a bit more wise.


Ya prince, ya prince, you should act and see things like a prince (to know everything that is going on around you) Now, wait a minute, do not worry, you are the only prince. Ya prince, yes, the president has all the power and he can do whatever he wants and surely he is not a figurehead… are you kidding me? are you comparing Sydney, Melbourne, and Washington democracies to the municipality in jieh. Ya prince really, come-on, if you want to bury your head in the sand, I understand, and if you really believe a law or due process exists in jieh than I lift my hands up and give up. my point my friend (I don’t know if you accept that) is my town is dying and the original inhabitants are dwindling and the ones that plan to come back are driven away. the political figure (his signature) in my town is the corrupt president of the municipality and he should be held accountable. This president is an excellent physician, (and if I need medical attention, I will go to him) let him redeem himself and go to the clinic and serve his people. He can contribute to their wellbeing better there, without charge that is. By the way, if you want proof about his corrupt reputation., why don’t you ask some close-knit friends of yours or his? I’m sure they will tell you. The corrupt one made it known openly in front of several people. Finally, every time I see new faces visiting (whether I know them or not) my heart starts beating with joy and energy and a big smile appears on my face that I can’t explain, hoping they will stay and live here and yes….. To vote.
jieh2008
advanced member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Well the reason im asking is because to date, I have not seen any hard evidence of this.

I don't like to sit here listening to people whinging about every single thing that goes wrong. All I ever hear is people whinging without proving any accusations.

That's the reason I am asking here in the first place.

Secondly, if this has all to do with the mayor, then why do we need 15 other councillors on his board? What on earth do you need 15 other people doing there if this is all focussed on the mayor having all the power?

These are just simple observations only, I don't have affiliations with sides, I just like to judge the action as it is. Now at the moment I have only heard rumors I cannot prove, and it's normal as always, alot of the times exaggerated.

The other observation is as I said, if there are so many councillors on the board, surely they have something to do with this as well don't they?

Is there anybody tough enough to replace this mayor if it were to happen? Because alot of the times in life you don't get to choose who the players are, but you can surely learn how to play it.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
User avatar
Prince Cadmus II
senior member
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby CharbelS.Azzi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Well my friend Jieh2008 it appears to me that u are a resident in Jieh, and i guess we know each other bcoz every weekend i am there,but i have a question for u why are u hidding ur real name and ur identity,everyone in this forum knows who i am,and every one knows my father who i might say that he is the number one in the opposition againt George nader.
If u was here in the last elections u probably know how we lost our christian mokhtar(there was 4christians who were running for these position and the muslims voted only for the muslims).
As for the municipality council my friend prince it's divided to 8 places for christians and the other 8 are muslims and usually they are from the winning list who elect the president.
For the people who are from Jieh and don't come even for a visit or those who come only to sunbath,and believe me they are so many i know 7 or 8 who are like that,our main objective is to always tell them about jieh and make them come to visit it at least on sunday to come to church and make friendship with the rest of their relatives,this is the only way to make the new generation come to jieh,but the problem is with their parents who visit jieh in main events as christmas and they don't urge their children to come with them,this is our land and we will stay in it for ever,even if we had some bad politicans we can make a change and we can't fall on the first turn,sa nabka wa nastamer fi l Jieh ila abad l abidin.
CharbelS.Azzi
junior member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Classified

Postby jieh2008 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 am

Prince Cadmus II wrote:Well the reason im asking is because to date, I have not seen any hard evidence of this.

I don't like to sit here listening to people whinging about every single thing that goes wrong. All I ever hear is people whinging without proving any accusations.

That's the reason I am asking here in the first place.

Secondly, if this has all to do with the mayor, then why do we need 15 other councillors on his board? What on earth do you need 15 other people doing there if this is all focussed on the mayor having all the power?

These are just simple observations only, I don't have affiliations with sides, I just like to judge the action as it is. Now at the moment I have only heard rumors I cannot prove, and it's normal as always, alot of the times exaggerated.

The other observation is as I said, if there are so many councillors on the board, surely they have something to do with this as well don't they?

Is there anybody tough enough to replace this mayor if it were to happen? Because alot of the times in life you don't get to choose who the players are, but you can surely learn how to play it.


Good, we are on the same page. we need someone strong and honest and someone who serves public interests. the expectations of everyone are to have a good life for themselves and their love ones. I do not expect the president of the municipality to provide them with this life and give it to them on a silver platter, but I expect him not to abuse his power and bully the demoralized and the weak, this is extortion (let us make it intimidation, extortion is too harsh). His civic duty is to promote the general welfare of the inhabitants and serve them efficiently. Serving people should not be like a transaction. One for one. An onion for a radish. I do this, you give me that. When you serve others, you should do it genuinely so a relationship and trust can form. We need someone who can make a difference. As for charbel you might know me (I’m smiling), may be I will surprise you by giving you a kiss on the cheek and whisper in you ear" jieh2008"(be careful someone else might be a pretender), maybe I will do that the next time I see you, but for the time being every one is going by a code name sorry (no hard feelings).
jieh2008
advanced member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby CharbelS.Azzi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:59 am

Then see u soon Jieh2008
CharbelS.Azzi
junior member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Classified

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 pm

2k8 michael corleone quite impressive man. you ought to contest you have my vote.

You raised some major issues, you even went as far as defending our brothers and sisters in nabe younis.

although i think you were being a bit harsh on Dr george nader azzi whom i believe is doing an expetional job considering the circumstances. In order to contest an election against Dr GNA you must be prepared for battle which i hope you are. If not then you should run on the same list as Dr George and promote the change you seek from within. Use GMA as an example. "we will be the opposition from within the government.

good luck to all
Image
Image

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
User avatar
Abou Jamra
senior member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:31 am

Postby jieh2008 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:09 am

Abou Jamra wrote:2k8 michael corleone quite impressive man. you ought to contest you have my vote.

You raised some major issues, you even went as far as defending our brothers and sisters in nabe younis.

although i think you were being a bit harsh on Dr george nader azzi whom i believe is doing an expetional job considering the circumstances. In order to contest an election against Dr GNA you must be prepared for battle which i hope you are. If not then you should run on the same list as Dr George and promote the change you seek from within. Use GMA as an example. "we will be the opposition from within the government.

good luck to all

Being like the GMA (waw) to seek change and reform from within is going to be impossible. As far as I know, and you know, the president of the municipality is a one man show due to the political protection that he enjoys through the days and nights. Do you know how many trips this president made to his mafia boss during his term? Don’t make me spell it out please; you should know the answer to that. To make change, you should be nice, confront, advise, and to try different ways to achieve a positive results. However, to deal with a corrupt nature human being like this one is going to be a stab in the heart of my humble, peaceful, beloved people of Jieh. Plus, you have many more qualified names out there, that I mentioned before and any one of them is better than me and the one we have now. If you have any political clout, persuade someone like Nassif , and please don’t repeat to me your old answer, he is not better than Dori. and yes go McCain.
jieh2008
advanced member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby haroun » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:59 am

Now this is what I call flurting. Abou Briquet suggests that he’ll support jieh2008 in a contest for the president of the municipality because he "went as far as defending his brothers and sisters in Nabe Younes" and building statues glorifying them to show his eternal gratitude.

Abou fa7meh, may I ask: when your brothers and sisters in Nabi Younes were threatened?

You say GNA (Dr.) is doing an exceptional job considering the circumstances. What were the benchmarks you used and how you evaluated them? Let's try to answer these question and see how he's done on certain issues: Did more families leave or return to Jieh?
Did GNA (Dr.) help make Jieh name synonymous with beach, recreation and fun or terror, armed conflicts and burning tires.
Did he work to remove the polluted sand bags left few yards from the water or turned his head away?
Is Jieh growing to be a nice beautiful town and the envie of every Lebanese or a ghetto full of slums?

Well if we use these issues as benchmarks, his performance doesn't look as exceptional does it?

2k8, I don’t think the information you’re spreading here about the president of the municipality can be found on Google. Can you please elaborate? I find hard to believe that there is a shadow government headed by a mafia boss that provide protection and guidance to the president! I may be from a different planet but I find it hard to believe that the doc is working for someone other than the people who elected him!

About your suggestion to AJ, Jieh != Deir el Kamar. And he made clear in the past that he has ambitions of his own. AJ, dear you got my vote despite being a 3aouni.

No to Aoun, no to Iran and hizbfatass, no to Syria and a big no to demagogues, tax and spend liberals like Obama, and yes go McCain.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
User avatar
haroun
senior member
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: Under the kharroube

Postby Abou Jamra » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

jieh2008 wrote:Being like the GMA (waw) to seek change and reform from within is going to be impossible. As far as I know, and you know, the president of the municipality is a one man show due to the political protection that he enjoys through the days and nights. Do you know how many trips this president made to his mafia boss during his term? Don’t make me spell it out please; you should know the answer to that. To make change, you should be nice, confront, advise, and to try different ways to achieve a positive results. However, to deal with a corrupt nature human being like this one is going to be a stab in the heart of my humble, peaceful, beloved people of Jieh. Plus, you have many more qualified names out there, that I mentioned before and any one of them is better than me and the one we have now. If you have any political clout, persuade someone like Nassif , and please don’t repeat to me your old answer, he is not better than Dori. and yes go McCain.



Dr Nassif has no interest in the mayoral position. With Dr Mario Aoun now a minister and we expect him to remain one after our 09 election victory, Dr Nassif could be the one contesting the maronite chouf seat. GNA has two years left to serve of this term rather than Monday morning quarter backing lets get in the game and start changing plays. GNA is a fair man and can be diplomatic. How about organising a group of concerned citizens and meeting with GNA at the council. Mention the issues Haroun raised, who knows GNA might take action.

Three people ought to contest the elections. Francois Azzi, Sami halim Azzi or Michael Farha Azzi ( I did oppose his nomination because of the age but his sons don’t seem interested in occupying the seat so that leaves me with no choice but to back the Don). From the three I will support the person with the best program. I consider the trio the most qualified and the most capable, but are they willing?

[Haroun quote]
Now this is what I call flurting. Abou Briquet suggests that he’ll support jieh2008 in a contest for the president of the municipality because he "went as far as defending his brothers and sisters in Nabe Younes" and building statues glorifying them to show his eternal gratitude.[/quote]

That shows his willingness to reach out to all communities. I support him because of his vision and the issues he raised. From the names listed I believe he would represent me best.

[Haroun quote]
Abou fa7meh, may I ask: when your brothers and sisters in Nabi Younes were threatened?[/quote]

With every article you post I feel that they are threatened. I don’t want to know what you would do to them if you were mayor. It’s a shame because my dream is to either have you, jieh2008 or azzigf running the village.


Dear friend Haroun regarding the second part of your post you know how I truly feel about the current council. I share and feel your and jieh2008 pain and concern. I love the village, we all do. But forgive me, I will step out of character and avoid commenting. Yes I agree with you and the points you raised need to be addressed. People always consider any form of criticism as a personal attack so I will avoid that. The problem Haroun is that issues concerning the village are only mentioned on this forum and some are discussed at length, there are many interesting debates, but after a period one loses motivation as villagers have no interest in the issues raised or unwilling to do anything about them.. so mnetla3 ne7na be swed al wej. I believe the best article I have posted on this forum is “resurrecting the AJCC” do you think anybody gave a damn? One year later from that post, I reread it and think damn I was so right, like many other issues I have raised in regards to the AJCC. So opposing and criticising the council will pretty much have the same effect. I have no interest in weakening the mayor with two remaining on his term its best if we raise the problems and discuss them with the mayor in private and offer him our assistance. It could very well be a whole different ball game come election time.

I and I will was ask everyone else not to vote for an individual but to vote for a program. I have always harboured such ambitions, if JaaJaa can get justice surely I can be mayor ;-) but I can’t afford to finance a mayoral campaign but I wont be selling my vote either. Thanks for the endorsement, but I would rather you be president… but I do want a seat on the board.
Image
Image

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
User avatar
Abou Jamra
senior member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:31 am

Previous

Return to Politics - Jieh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron