Resurrecting the AJCC!!!

City and City Council News and Discussions

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Resurrecting the AJCC!!!

Postby Abou Jamra » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Dear Friends

Last night I remembered and reflected on all the blessings that we as a community enjoyed and blessings of which none of you perhaps value and appreciate more than I, who had lost them for a while. I have only one purpose in writing this letter and that is to put into expression what you already know. Fellow comrades I am deeply concerned about the current state of the AJCC. What has happened to the once thriving association that had a political as well as a social purpose but as of late has had minimal effect in achieving both? This AJCC refuses to accept that her glory days are over and fading fast, but instead it has chosen to age disgracefully rather than choosing the option of reforming and modernizing.

I am not here to criticize neither am I here to praise, I am not a philosopher, I am not political scientist, I am not an academic and I am not considered to be a village “elite”. I am none of those. But I am a concerned citizen and I like you do come from a small coastal town located between two rivers the Awalee and the Damour. I am from the Jieh.

Over the years I had the pleasant and at times the unpleasant task of observing the AJCC. I saw it take shape, saw it being refined; I saw it strengthened only then to see it crumble and weaken. I have a dream that that organization that started off on a small scale with numerous difficulties and hesitations to become a real institution with power, vigor and authority amongst the people it claims to represent and those it ought to represent.

The only thing that has kept the AJCC on its feet is the sustaining strength and the endurance of those who truly believe in it and its purpose. But even those few are aging, losing interest and losing hope. Their eyes once shined with the light of enthusiasm, if they couldn’t excel with talent they triumphed with effort. It was initiative after initiative, meeting after meeting, door to door knocking, event after event, letters, emails, sms messages, phone calls, late night meetings, lobbyists, activists we had it all. We had humanitarian projects, environmental projects, sporting events, events for the elderly, events for the youth, village parties, religious festivals etc…. The AJCC was peaking. Until….

Until what? Where did it all go wrong? Personally I believe it came down to one single factor, one single event and one single decision at an AGM that caused this halt in progress. And what followed was an evolution of things and with respect to the AJCC those things were beyond their control. Although I do to an extent hold Mr Wissam Azzi and his team accountable, there was very little that they could do when the forces opposing them were far more vocal as they embarked on a crusade to build their churches and in the process of doing so shook the foundations of the AJCC which it is yet to recover from. Although I applaud the efforts of both camps the St George committee as well as the Morning Star committee, I wish to highlight that whether deliberately or undeliberately, directly or indirectly they did contribute to the demise of the AJCC. This very result was forecasted and made public at the AJCC general meeting in either 03 or 04. Those who made this prediction and urged the AJCC to be cautious were ignored.

How did these two camps contribute to the demise of the AJCC? Well my conclusion to that is rather simple. The AJCC was not given any veto power, it had zero input in the decision making process, its roll was simply to safe guard the monies raised and make sure its events schedule did not interfere with theirs. This limited the AJCC activities and restricted it from hosting events it usually would. This in my view paralyzed the AJCC. People put their individual interest before the public interest. “ma badna nza3el 7ada” that was the attitude.

Now that I have highlighted what I believe to be the main cause for the demise of the AJCC I wish to present a solution, which I would hope, would help resurrect the AJCC.

1. Elections

We need new blood. Even if they say we are just romantics, inveterate idealists, thinking the impossible. A new generation of young enthusiasts ought to take over the AJCC. A new team that will consist of both activists as well as strategists. A new team that will work for the short as well as the long-term interests of our village both in Australia as well as Lebanon. A new team to work towards progress and reform. A new team that will work towards community development. A new team that is capable of realizing the full potential of the AJCC. A new team with ideas, hopes and aspirations. A new team with goals. A new team that is willing to work hard and be consistent in their work. A new team that considers the village’s problems as their own.

What the new team needs is a strong leader who is willing to make and take the tough decisions even though they will upset a few. The new AJCC needs to take full control and be the only organization raising funds for the churches. A member of both church councils should be represented in the AJCC and any decision taken must be approved by the AJCC board.

I ask you to participate in this conversation before I expand upon on it. Your input is much appreciated.

How can we resurrect the AJCC?

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Re: Resurrecting the AJCC!!!

Postby azzigf » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Abou Jamra wrote:Dear Friends

The fact that no one bothered to comment could mean that you are either beating a dead horse or no one cares. Either way we are all behind you.
azzigf

Postby haroun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:01 pm

...I was wondering what happened to the AJCC.

As you said, even I can tell that the level of interest has gone down dramatically. The Australians like most lebanese overseas have lost confidence that their Jieh and Lebanon will see peace in this lifetime. None of the new generation feel connected or know the town enough to make it a cause. I think, you have to come up with new themes and a new charter to generate interest.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Miss Azzi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Abou Jamra

The energy and passion you have regarding this matter engulfs me with serenity. Why do you not form a team and take over the AJCC? You are capable of doing so and you should consider it.

You have our support. :D

Azzigf

It is the responsibility of the AJCC to make people care. Despite all the sarcasm you put forward in the Christmas tree decoration article you out of all people should know the importance of this and the severity of the consequences

Haroun

Majority of the people here have made the trip back to Lebanon and they will keep going back. It’s not the case of them not been connected or knowing. Such people exist and they are all of the new generation. Myself included. The problem is with the current leadership. I agree with you nonetheless new characters and new themes are much needed.
Miss Azzi

Abou J - I Agree

Postby Elie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:15 pm

i think you would make a great leader....very well spoken and it seems you have vision and some imagination... not like the deadbeats running the show today. no offence :)
Elie

Re: Resurrecting the AJCC!!!

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 pm

azzigf wrote:
Abou Jamra wrote:Dear Friends

The fact that no one bothered to comment could mean that you are either beating a dead horse or no one cares. Either way we are all behind you.

Or it could be a case of everyone aggreeing but not feeling the need to comment. Thanks for your support btw... If they dont care then they ought to care and i post the reasons why soon.

haroun wrote:...I was wondering what happened to the AJCC.

As you said, even I can tell that the level of interest has gone down dramatically. The Australians like most lebanese overseas have lost confidence that their Jieh and Lebanon will see peace in this lifetime. None of the new generation feel connected or know the town enough to make it a cause. I think, you have to come up with new themes and a new charter to generate interest.

We can restore their confidence by not only offering them hope and faith but also results. A new AJCC is capable of doing so. What "themes" do you propose?

Miss Azzi wrote:Abou Jamra

The energy and passion you have regarding this matter engulfs me with serenity. Why do you not form a team and take over the AJCC? You are capable of doing so and you should consider it.

You have our support. :D .

Thank you for your generous comment and support. We are in the process of forming a team, just waiting till we get the constitution and set a date for the elections.

Elie wrote:i think you would make a great leader....very well spoken and it seems you have vision and some imagination... not like the deadbeats running the show today. no offence :)

I am not after leadership and if azzigf nominates himself as a candidate for the next elections i will fully support him, despite me criticising the current AJCC leadership i also have no problem with Wissam staying on, on the condition that he agrees on the program that the new team will present him with.

Abou Jamra

Postby Antoni » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:12 am

I Agree

Abou Jamra for President.

:D
Antoni

Postby GWB » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:14 am

Miss Azzi wrote:
Azzigf

It is the responsibility of the AJCC to make people care. Despite all the sarcasm you put forward in the Christmas tree decoration article you out of all people should know the importance of this and the severity of the consequences

I totally agree. If people dont care, its not because they dont want any involvement in anything jieh. rather is because there no longer exists an outlet for their interest. All we have to do is look at the ajyc to see that when the rulers are no longer living up to the jobs they were elected to do, then people, interested people will take the role upon themselves.
GWB

Postby azzigf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 am

Abou Jamra, stop contradicting yourself. You either believe in new blood or you dont. Azzigf belongs to a bygone era and I herad it from reliable sources that he hasnt the slightest interest in joining the board of AJCC. Let's face it if the guy has anything to give he would have by now. He is happy watching the town build churches.

I recently saw our fearless elader Wissam and he intimated his intention to relinquish the position as soon as someone (anyone) shows an interest. Furthermore he is going to call for a meeting soon to choose a new board assuming the AGM date doesnt coincide with a funeral at the AJCC.
Let's hope someone turns up for the meeting especially now that the weather in Sydney is becoming nicer.
So come on all your new blood and show us your hidden talents. The anticipation is killing me.

By the way Ya Abou jamra: Could you inform the townsfolk to tone down their excitement. The Chrismas decoration project will not take place due to the constraints of time. So the town will have to do with the primitive decorations it manages to put on every year. Pity they all got so excited for nothing. Yalla God willing next year (assuming those who will furnish the decorations dont become less excited about it).

And ya Abou jamra, the people here in Australia dont yet know about the overwhelming need of the worshippers for an AC system. Could you contact the Wakf committees so they can relay people's concerns to the Australian community. Winter is just around the corner and it might get rather cold in a big an empty worship hall.
azzigf

Postby GWB » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:37 am

azzigf wrote:
So come on all your new blood and show us your hidden talents. The anticipation is killing me.

why would you write that?

when someone is clearly trying to do something good for the community there is no need to belittle his ideas.

Am I right in assuming you don’t want any part of the ajcc and if someone has any hopes of making in a functioning organisation you will do your best to make sure it doesn’t happen?
GWB

Postby azzigf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:55 am

GWB wrote:
azzigf wrote:

why would you write that?

when someone is clearly trying to do something good for the community there is no need to belittle his ideas.

Am I right in assuming you don’t want any part of the ajcc and if someone has any hopes of making in a functioning organisation you will do your best to make sure it doesn’t happen?

You may interpret this as a challenge to prove me wrong if you like. Besides you are giving my ability to prevent someone from "making a functioning organisation" way too much credit. I cant influence my own nephew let alone other people. I just believe in things when I see them happen and not when they are ethereal ideas exchanged by anonymous people in cyberspace.
azzigf

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:44 am

azzigf wrote:Abou Jamra, stop contradicting yourself. You either believe in new blood or you dont. Azzigf belongs to a bygone era and I herad it from reliable sources that he hasnt the slightest interest in joining the board of AJCC. Let's face it if the guy has anything to give he would have by now. He is happy watching the town build churches..

Your answer gives me and the village little hope. I guess you haven’t entirely ruled out the possibility of becoming AJCC president. Or else you have stated it yourself and not quoted “reliable sources”. You have much to offer and there is much we can learn from you. Even if you consider a temporary reign (a transitional president). You can serve a full of term or resign after 6 month. But help us structure the new AJCC. The cute thing about you azzigf is that your both an idealist (although you deny it) but also a realist ( your predictions are true although I deny them) and at times a strategist. We need someone who would help balance our approach, someone who would help us contain our excitement and imagination. Some one older and wiser. Someone capable of reaching out to the old generation and help close the communicational as well as the generational gaps. Someone with established contacts in Lebanon as well as personal contacts in Australia. You have both. You have close ties with the Waef and the Village council as well as the Jieh “elite” in Australia. Don’t underestimate your potential and your capabilities , you have the ability and I am most certain that you have no self doubt. With a strong team around you will succeed (if its failure which you fear). But be courageous and we will not fail.

If time is of the essence, then this your time. Your a brilliant thinker, rational in thought, smart, generous, inquisitive, progressive and humane. The village needs people like you to lead it. Hear the cry of your people azzigf. Hear the cry that comes from the depth of primitive obscurity. Do not desert the people as Khalil Gibran put it because their nature was in conflict with yours, or because their dreams did not agree with yours.

Surely you have more to give other than trees and plants. Why be contempt by simply watching the town build it’s churches? Why not be the one actually sees them complete?

azzigf wrote:I recently saw our fearless elader Wissam and he intimated his intention to relinquish the position as soon as someone (anyone) shows an interest. Furthermore he is going to call for a meeting soon to choose a new board assuming the AGM date doesnt coincide with a funeral at the AJCC. Let's hope someone turns up for the meeting especially now that the weather in Sydney is becoming nicer.
So come on all your new blood and show us your hidden talents. The anticipation is killing me...

That’s very nice of our courageous leader. Seldom do people especially Lebanese forfeit power. But no we don’t want just anyone. I hope to be there for the AGM and even if a funeral does coincide with the meeting then by god will meet under a tree or in a car park. (I couldn’t help it but note the irony between the two words AJCC AGM and funeral… and here we are discussing resurrecting the AJCC. If that meeting doesn’t bear fruit than that day shall also be the funeral of the AJCC). Who turns up depends on the AJCC and the significance it gives to the meeting, I am willing to write the invitation myself. This will be the single most important letter that the AJCC sends. And I would hope and request of you azzigf to relay this to your buddies the next time you guys are drinking wine or gathering under the Toutya. Tell them that this issue ought to be discussed at length in their letter of invitation. The problems facing the community must be made public and must be addressed. A tsunami of new blood is coming to take over the AJCC.

azzigf wrote:By the way Ya Abou jamra: Could you inform the townsfolk to tone down their excitement. The Chrismas decoration project will not take place due to the constraints of time. So the town will have to do with the primitive decorations it manages to put on every year. Pity they all got so excited for nothing. Yalla God willing next year (assuming those who will furnish the decorations dont become less excited about it). ..

No surprise their. Just as predicted by both yourself and George the admin. But what a shame, I would have loved nothing more than seeing a snow machine in Jieh. Who was responsible for this? Kids here were already looking forward to a light and bright Christmas. Who spoilt it for them? Their is no constraint of time, tell them to forward the funds to the Waef and the good people here will see that all materials are purchased in time.

azzigf wrote:And ya Abou jamra, the people here in Australia dont yet know about the overwhelming need of the worshippers for an AC system. Could you contact the Wakf committees so they can relay people's concerns to the Australian community. Winter is just around the corner and it might get rather cold in a big an empty worship hall.

For sure. First thing in the morning, I will visit George and Francois then I will call an electrician and go to Home Ware and get quotes. We also need a few arguiles and a wireless connection for the church, we need to provided the worshipers with the comfort which they deserve. Also we will need to raise funds for the fireworks. New Years is just around the corner.

back to topic now!!

Abou Jamra

Postby danyhr » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:23 pm

i've been away from my computer for a few days, that is the only reason for my delay, not because i don't think this issue is important.

Personally, i agree with AJ. I don't know the whole "who's in, who's not" of the AJCC, but i do know that it needs a drastic makeover. I know this because i tend to sit sometimes and wonder about the Jieh and its diaspora and have come to realise that there is no passion at the AJCC.

Not that i need to convince anyone, but the fact that Lebanon is part of the Holy Land (In ancient times, part of Canaan), and that the saints walked upon the Jieh shores is enough to make me feel so proud of this beautiful strip of land called Jieh and Lebanon as a whole. Ok, we are in Australia or wherever, but if there are people, like me, who feel so attached, proud, and passionate about the Jieh, shouldn't their breath be allowed to revive the AJCC? i think so. He/she who has time, energy, passion should band together and do something. Why not?

I don't know who you all are really, i don't know who would make a great leader or not, all i know is that if you feel any of the things above then we are going in the right direction. What an honour to be from such blessed shores, from such a blessed country.
In much of your talking, thinking is half murdered - GKG.
danyhr
advanced member

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks for that Dany.

Wissam is in Lebanon and is residing in Rabieh ( i love stiring him about that) but i will be meeting him this tuesday to discuss the upcoming AJCC AGM and the elections. I will keep you up dated.

Abou Jamra

Postby L. F. Youth-Jieh Sector » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Altough we have a different politic view than that of abou jamra,we agree on his opinion.And if an election of a new president for AJCC will make it resurrect we will go in this option for the end.
And since there is no candidates till now than AJ we will support him on his road to presidency,but if new candidates show up than we will choose the one who suits best this position.
L. F. Youth-Jieh Sector

Next

Return to Politics - Jieh